Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Testimonials - the easy marketing strategy

Testimonials - the most powerful proof YOU can get

“You are fantastic!” That was the testimonial that not only made me feel the effort I put into the job was worthwhile but made me realise how much the client thought of my work. If I am feeling blue or stuck for words or just feeling a bit dull-headed, I remember that unrequested one line e-mail and the WOW factor blows my mind once again.

I had finished a piece of work for a London Bond Trader in what seemed to me my normal speed but what was clearly to him incredible. His e-mail made me feel he was pleased to be working with me and went out of his way to ensure that I knew this.

That one declaration made me comprehend that many who write their own testimonials and simply get the client to sign them, miss the point. Testimonials don't just do your career good, they do you good as well.

I coach individuals who want to open Virtual Assistant businesses as well as working with new and expert VAs. I tell them that they need to get permission to use any unexpected compliments or comments that they obtain by e-mail or letter.

'Off the cuff' remarks are often excellent testimonials and are not comparable to the pre-written and long thought over testimonial that you just get the client to sign. But let us be honest, ALL testimonials are worth their weight in gold.

For those of you who want to become Virtual Assistants, start assembling testimonials before you start your company.

You can get them from:

  • Charity or vocational work you do
  • Your current employer - perhaps in an annual review
  • Your ex-employers
  • People of status that you meet with on a regular basis

This means that when you put your Business Profile together you have a business history that you can include. This will give you kudos with prospective clients and you will not look like someone new to the profession at all.

Existing Virtual Assistants

It is just as important for you to ask your clients for testimonials. You can also ask for referrals at the same time if you are looking for more work.

Make sure your testimonials are obvious on your website and in your Portfolio. If they are formal recognition such as winning a business award or industry nomination etc, you can even use these after your name - I often use the strapline - "Di Chapman, The Award Winning Virtual Assistant".

Experienced Virtual Assistants

Get new testimonials - keep updating your website with new and inspiring comments from your current clients. Your web site is your brochure for the marketplace, keep it up to date.

Testimonials are one of the best free advertising mediums open to VAs and other SMEs.

Get as many testimonials as you can. Put them in your written portfolio but more importantly, ensure that they are placed on your web site so that other prospective clients can see them.

Find one, a short one, and memorise it. When times are busy, you feel distressed or you are slack and in need of work repeat this testimonial to yourself. You will realise that if one client feels that way about you, so will many others.

My mantra is 'You are Fantastic'. The writer of that testimonial has no idea how much help and support those three words have given me and my business.

This shows the dynamism of testimonials, one of the most powerful advertising tools you can have and they are free.

How do you get testimonials?

  • Write a short list of say 6 clients
  • Mail them with a request for a testimonial
  • Do NOT write this yourself and ask them to just put their name on it. It will start to look questionable if you do as the style of writing will be the same
  • Most clients will be only too pleased to do this
  • Place the testimonial up on your web site and in your printed materials with the clients name, company and URL (with their permission)
  • As you get new clients, e-mail them after say 6 months asking for a testimonial
  • If you have a 'one off' large job, also ask for a testimonial

Testimonials, worth their weight in gold, but most importantly they are FREE.

Di Chapman October 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have had a very difficult summer here with awful weather since August and I always find that this brings me down. The long winters can be very difficult.

Surfing the net, I came across the web site of a well known children's heart surgeon, Dr Mani and started to read his story. He has become an Internet Guru to fund vital life and death operations
for poor children in India.

One of the books caught my attention and I would like to give you the 'blurb' I read.

'How To Be Happy When You Would Rather Be Sad'

Three powerful new revelations show you how to get what you want in life. Money. Relationships. Happiness. You can have it all -if you manage your emotions. Learn how in the Emotion Prism.

Well I have to admit that I bought the book and found it was a story in a story and very easy to read and put into practice. If you would like to know more visit here

--------------------------------------------------

Well our Indian Summer is due to end this week but I remember last November when we were sitting having lunch outside saying how warm the weather was and within a week the temperatures went below freezing and stayed there. We are lucky to have seasons. Having lived in tropical countries that are either hot or hot and wet I have learnt to love the changes and am waiting for the trees in the valley to start their migration to gold and amber.

Stay healthy and be successful

Di Chapman - the Award Winning Virtual Assistant

No comments: